One frosty winter night, the Angel of Death took the local Lord, a Merchant and a Poor from the county. Their souls were led somewhere in the stars, until the Angel of Life gave them a new existence on Earth. With this purpose they came before him.
First of course came the Lord, who believed himself to be the most important.
The Angel of Life asked him:
- What have you done in your life so far and what life would you like your next to be?
- I expanded the boundaries of the county, made my family stronger, and acquired a lot of money, prestige, power. My portrait dominates my palace, the coat of arms of my family is everywhere in our city, in churches, in public buildings. My family tree is taught in schools, I am the most important man in the county, a powerful Ruler.
However, the Angel of Death took me early, I did not conquer a territory that I believe is rightfully mine, I did not complete my new palace, I did not renovate my castle. So I want you to make me the firstborn son, of my firstborn son, so that I can become Ruler again and complete my worthy and glorious work!
- Hmm, I'm afraid that what matters in a life is what you gave to other people and my job is to give you 1,000 times what you gave to people…. But from what I see, you gave nothing to people, you used them as expendable animals, as slaves and servants to satisfy your megalomania. You took so much from them by enslaving them, taxing them until they sold their children, forcing them to do ridiculous things to please you, imprisoning those you suspected of not being blindly loyal to you, executing whoever you wanted to impose a crazy terror….
You owe too much because you have to pay for everything you did. One next life is not enough for you. Many more unhappy lives are needed. You will be a slave on a galley, you will become a mangy beggar, you will become a thief who will be hanged in the square, you will become a baby who will die early, you will have many unhappy lives to pay with your pain, the pain you caused. Get out of my sight now!
And he sent him to Earth.
Second came the Merchant.
The Angel of Life asked him:
- What have you done in your life so far and what kind of life would you like your next one to be?
- I am a respectable Merchant of our city. I looked after my work, expanded our family business, I did not steal from anyone, I sold according to supply and demand, I looked after my legitimate interest but at the same time I was sensitive to other people. My name is among the donors of the church, every Sunday I would show mercy to the beggars in the square and they would bow down to me and call my name out loud, so that God would hear it and rank me among the Righteous.
I do not want much, I want to be rich, since I am already worthy of it with my good deeds, and to continue expanding our family business, since I am such a capable merchant, that I will become the richest man in the city.
-Hmm, I should give you 1,000 times what you gave to other people, but you gave nothing, because in every single action you did, you always looked at your own interest and you always won and the other person lost. Even your offerings to the Church and your charity to the beggars you did out of cold calculation and arrogance, because that's what the rich do to look good, so that you can move up in social status, and gain access to richer customers.
So you will become a beggar outside the church, miserable, who will ask, but never have, you will sleep on the street and in the cold of winter or in the heat of summer with stray animals, because that's what you earned!
And he sent him to Earth.
Third came the Poor Man.
The Angel of Life asked him:
- What have you done in your life so far and what kind of life would you like your next one to be?
- I made many mistakes in my life. I have no complaints from God or from people, I know that there is Divine justice, so my life as a poor person was a result of my own previous actions. However, I was happy, I enjoyed my life and I am ready to continue my journey wherever fate will lead me.
- Hmm.. from what I see you gave to people in your life, even though you were poor. It is written here that you gave your food, being hungry, to someone who needed it more than you. You cared about people, you comforted them and you also felt that they were suffering, you had compassion and interest, always giving, always sharing. I should give you 1,000 times what you gave, and oh! the law owes you a lot.
Do you want to be a Ruler in your next life? Do you want to be Rich? A General? An Archbishop? A glorious and wealthy Artist? A Millionaire with countless treasures? Do you want to never work again? Tell me and it will happen! You can choose, because you have gained capital from your life!
- Thank you very much Angel, but all the above you mentioned would distract me, because I would have to deal with them. What I would like, however, is a next life where I could become better…
- In your next life, then, you will be neither rich nor poor, but you will always have what you need to survive. Favorable situations and suitable people will appear in your life who will become your friends and companions, so that you have the opportunity, by walking, choosing and living, to be able to become…. wise!
Image created by ChatGPT

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:
Δημοσίευση σχολίου